Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

What a difference a year makes!!

Then:



Now...One year ago today was probably the hardest day of my life. It was the day we had to give our little Kyler away to a nurse who was going to take him to a double bypass heart surgery. All day long Ryan and I waited in the waiting room. We didn't see him until late that evening. It was the longest day I can remember. Surprisingly, I felt okay during the day, a little apprehensive but for the most part comforted. It wasn't until I saw Kyler that I broke down into tears. There was my little boy hooked up to more tubes and machines than I ever expected. There were a lot of prayers and tears over the next couple weeks. I called my parents bawling on numerous occasions. I felt so helpless because Kyler was in all this discomfort and pain and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. I sat by his bed almost every day. I remember the day they took him out of his "coma"- day 9. His poor little eyes so swollen but he still managed to squeeze my finger - something I will never forget. That was an amazing experience to know that he knew I was there. It took him nine days to get off of the ventilator but once he got over that hurdle...he sailed. He came home after 2 1/2 weeks and now he is 100%. We had one of many heart checkups about 2 months ago and they told us that he is doing fantastic and we don't have to come back for another checkup for a whole year. His little body has been through incredible things in his life but no matter what...he smiles. He has the best smile ever and he gives kisses all the time. I love him and he continually amazes me with his abilities. He gives me strength because I know that he has overcome many things in his life and that he will still have a lot more to overcome. His therapists are continually amazed at how well he is doing. He has great perseverence and he is so happy. He loves his brother and tries to do things like Taegen. Taegen is a great example and friend to Kyler. I am sure blessed to be a mom to these two wonderful boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment